Friday 24 July 2009

Minor musings on Hitch

I love Hitchcock, he's my favourite Director, quite probably.

Stuff like Rope is great where you just have long, undiluted takes, where he allows/trusts the actors to act.

My favourite films to date include The 39 Steps, Strangers on a Train, Rear Window (all bonafide classics), but also the much maligned Stage Fright.


I do love that scene [The ten minuter in Rope]. Hitchcock apparently said before filming that shot: "You are my actors. I trust you. Just act, and I'll follow in."

Rope stands up so very well. I prefer that style of directing to films that seem so obviously choreographed. There's a famous example John Braithwaite pointed out to me, but I've forgotten it.


Two absolutely fantastic films [Rear Window and Strangers on a Train]. Robert Walker is so damned good and creepy in Strangers that its a shock, sad and annoying to learn he died right after filming: that was a man who would have become massive very shortly.

And Rear Window is in my top 4 Jimmy Stewart films (alongside Mr Smith, Harvey and Wonderful Life).

I love Stage Fright. It's a very well acted piece, and, despite Hitchcock's later regrets about it, contains one of my favourite twists in all of his films.

Though that be down to Alistair Sim's reaction to the reveal.

No comments: